They believe that ultimately the men and women of both Houses will have to craft a plan that will move our Country out of the crippling power struggle on the floors and in the halls of government and the reality is that it will also have to make sense for them and those that chose to serve our Nation in the future. The outline of our suggested starting point is as follows:
- House Members would serve three four- year terms
- Senators would serve two six-year terms
- Pension and benefits would be appropriate to their significant responsibility — earned in proportion to years served
- Serving one Congressional Body does not preempt serving up to twelve additional years in the other, but does not augment retirement or benefits
- The twelve year Term Limit would be calculated beginning from the individual’s next election following a constitutional amendment to that effect
- Retirement compensation and benefits are contingent on not lobbying either Body in any form whatsoever.
Rational Term Limits would introduce a new and effective element to the process and help bring the holding of Congressional Seats back down to earth. They would allow enough time to learn and be effective, but eliminate entrenchment in the pockets of power. They would adequately reward those willing to dedicate their most productive years to assuming the responsibility of leading our Nation. They would make way for new blood and new ideas making our government more dynamic and less vulnerable to gridlock. They would weaken the throat hold large contributors have on our elected officials, our commerce, our war machine, and our Nation.
We believe that the modern world’s technological, economic and political realities have distorted their vision and that the present Congressional morass is the result. We believe that carefully structuring congressional terms must be done to arrest our national downward spiral. And equally important, we believe that in order to induce our best and brightest to step forward and sacrifice a critical period in their careers, uproot their families (or leave them and live alone in DC) and generally disrupt their and their family’s lives, they are entitled to be adequately rewarded for their contribution to the welfare of our Nation.